Wednesday 2 May 2018

J. Cole KOD Album Review

J. Cole KOD Album Review 
Rating: 6/10 
Favourite Tracks: ATM, Kevin's Heart, Brackets, Friends, 
Least Favourite Track: Motiv8 


On this review I will be reviewing the new J. Cole Album which was released on the 20th April 2018. It is the fifth studio album by J. Cole called "KOD".

This is the fifth full length album from the North Carolina rapper. Who I think is a great lyricist. But at times when it comes to his albums he has not put a strong album. At times it has been weak. But I feel J. Cole can do so much better. At times most of his fans prefer his trap mainstream side whereas I prefer his Hip Hop side. He is a Hip Hop artist with just only a few trap rap tracks. J. Cole has been in the music scene for a long time now. He released his first mixtape back in 2007 "The Come Up" which was viewed for over 1,274,000 it was the start of J. Cole career. His second mixtape "The Warm Up" the viewings increased up to 3,100,000 times. His third mixtape "Friday Night Lights" it's been known as his best mixtape out of the other 2. I like J.Cole I am fan of some of his albums but I don't listen to him that much. I wouldn't say he has the best discography but he has some decent studio albums. Discussing more about his studio albums starting with his debut album "Cole World: The Sideline Story" which is an okay debut album not the best debut but it has some interesting messages and flows on his debut album. His second studio album "Born Sinner" I did not really like his second album just did not like it. It's his weakest album.  His third album "2014 Forest Hills Drive" is my favourite album from him. I love the conscious hip hop on "2014 Forest Hills Drive". His fourth studio album "4 Your Eyez Only" another good album from Mr J.Cole himself. I love the Jazz rap on this album with Conscious rap just like "2014 Forest Hills Drive". Which brings us now to his fifth album "KOD". Since hearing this album what did I think of it? This album was rushed when it came to the stages of recording. It's not that bad but I can tell why most fans would say it's boring since some think he is not entertaining does not have a strong albums just like Kendrick's. I think this album is okay it would have been better if production sounded more jazz hip hop just like the intro on the album.

My favourite tracks on the album starting with "ATM" this track is about counting how much money you have.I love the chorus 'Count em up count em up count em up count it'. The production is excellent. Definitely one of the best songs of 2018 so far. "Kevin's Heart" which is about Kevin Hart himself about him cheating his wife with someone else. The music video is funny with Kevin Hart being funny as always. The track is good J.Cole flows is too dope on this track. "Brackets" it's a decent track not quite the strongest but at least it's decent. "Friends" which is speculated to be Cole himself in the form of an alter-ego. The track is good his flows were interesting. He mentions Trump and Clinton as saying 'Blame Trump and Blame Clinton'. As we all know 2016 election was a joke those two candidates were a joke. He also blames trap music as well on the track. Since he has been beefing with 'Lil Pump' past few months. My least favourite track was "Motiv8". It sounded so weird his flows did not match the production style.

Overall I thought this album was okay. Quite disapointing that jazz rap was not on the entire album apart from the intro. I would maybe comeback and listen to it again but not at the moment. It's an okay album. It's a 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment